Speller Jr Games
Skills Your Child Will Practice :
* Object and word recognition
* Letter recognition and letter matching
* Sorting and grouping
* Concentration and memory
* Taking turns and sharing
Suitable for Age 3 -6
* 30 pieces of Picture Card and 60 English Words
* Speller Jr Game Tray
* 8 units of Letter Cubes
What are the special features?
- One simple game that encourages many skills
- Encourages bonding time with your child
- Lightweight and portable
The game contained the Speller Junior game tray, 30 picture/word cards with 3- and 4-letter words (printed on both sides, so there are 60 pictures in total) and 8 letter cubes. The plastic tray holds the card, with four slots to fill in the letter cubes to spell the word as in the picture on the specific card. Each card has a 3-letter word on one side and a 4-letter word on the other side.
Besides teaching how to spell, the Speller Junior gives a number of other skills for a child to practice with:
- Object and word recognition – The child recognizes the object on the card and the word for that object, a preparation for reading readiness.
- Letter recognition and matching – To spell a word, the child must be able to recognize the letter or alphabet. This would also enable the child the find the letter on the cubes to match the letters on the card.
- Concentration and memory – The child glances at the picture and the word, then flip the Word Cover over the word. The child is no longer matching the letters, but is actually spelling the whole word from memory.
- Taking turns, sharing and playing together – The game can be varied for 2 players or more. Children take turns spelling the words on the cards. The player who spells correctly – you can play by letter matching for young children and spelling from memory for older kids – keeps the card. The person who has more cards in the end, wins.
What I like about it
There are countless games of this nature online, some are downloadable for free. You can just download some games, hand over your laptop or Ipad to your child, and he could play it to his heart’s content and you could have some peace and quiet. That’s the beauty of a traditional game; it encourages you to sit down, spend some time together and socialize.
I also like the portability of it. It’s small and lightweight, easy to be stashed in a plastic bag or container, so you can bring it for travels.
Conclusion - A good tool for some family bonding time and fun learning. That’s a major benefit for RM29.90. Buy this and make your own family game night.