KeepCup, maker of the world’s first barista standard reusable cup, brings you KeepCup Brew Glass Coffee Cups! The perfect on-the-go vessel to appreciate the craft and sensory pleasure of specialty coffee and tea. Designed for pure drinking pleasure on the go.
KeepCup Brew and KeepCup Brew Cork (Limited Edition) are introduced in response to the premium specialty coffee consumer. Brew is an extension to its commuter range, a “to go” vessel that represents the highest aspirations for the liquid it contains. KeepCup Brew allows consumers to take the cafe experience with them. An ideal vessel for people who are serious about their coffee ritual, as well as lovers of fine tea.
The new lid is one of the most technically difficult achievements of the Brew product, placing a hard lid over a hard cup. The new lid improves the seal and the drinking experience. It’s been a long process, but we are thrilled with the result. It meets all the core aims of the KeepCup brand – well-proportioned design, a pleasure to use, easy to clean and carry.
With KeepCup Brew we hope to engage a broader audience and reignite the passion of the early adopters to commit to our core mission – reducing disposable cup waste.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Fully tempered soda lime glass.
- Resistant to thermal and mechanical shock. It’s not unbreakable, but you can have fun trying.
KeepCup Cork Band
- Originally come from the ancient cork oak forests of Portugal, but are manufactured from the recycled waste material from the wine industry.
- Holding the band insulates your hand from your hot beverage.
- Hard lid for ease of use and drinking pleasure.
- The hard smooth surface of the lid and enlarged drinking hole allow you to fully experience the aroma and texture of your beverage.
- Greater angle in the lid for nose clearance and improved splash proof seal.
- The plug lifts and swivels 90 degrees to open the breather vent and drinking hole. It lifts and swivels again to close.
- Plug covers mouthpiece when not in use, so only your lips touch the drinking surface. Remove the plug only for cleaning.
- Non-toxic and BPA free.
- Same great recycling capacity as the original. But stay focused on use and reuse.
KeepCup Small 8oz
Our original KeepCup. This size most closely resembles the internal volume of an in-house glass. It is a disposable cup size, more common in independent specialty coffee houses.
KeepCup Medium 12oz
The medium is appropriate for all the same coffees as the small, is one of the most popular sizes in takeaway coffee environments. The internal volume would be similar to a large mug. It is great for tea and iced beverages too.
CLEANING YOUR KEEPCUP
As with most things, the more care you take washing your cups, the longer they will last. KeepCup recommends placing the KeepCup Original and the KeepCup Brew with Silicone band securely on the top rack of the dishwasher. The KeepCup Brew Limited Edition Cork is a more delicate item and should only be handwashed using a soft cloth and water. The cork band should never be removed from the cup. Do not use abrasive cleaning cloths on any KeepCup.
Care should be taken: scratching or denting the cup or lid can compromise the seal. Even minor abrasion to the rim of the cup or lid seal area will compromise the seal.
Nothing restores the KeepCup like gently rubbing the KeepCup with a paste of bicarbonate soda with lemon and rinsing thoroughly.
In between use ensure the KeepCup is kept dry and stored with the lid off to avoid any unwanted smells developing.
IMPORTANT KEEPCUP USER INFORMATION
- Caution – boiling liquid will cause pressure build up inside a completely sealed cup. Always open plug vent or remove lid when cup contains liquid over 65°C.
- Always take care when consuming hot drinks.
- Be mindful when using the lid that you will not be able to gauge the temperature of the liquid in the cup.
- Please check that lid is properly sealed prior to use. If the seal on the lid is compromised or leaks – do not use.
- Seal in a vertical motion with cup resting on a flat surface.
- Remove the lid prior to placing in the microwave.
- Care should be taken: scratching or denting the cup or lid can compromise the seal. Even minor abrasion to the rim of the cup or lid seal area will compromise the seal.
- Do not over fill.
- Do not use for long term storage – contents should be consumed relatively rapidly.
- Do not use for non-drinkable substances (i.e. liquid fuels or other flammable, corrosive or chemical substances).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why is the KeepCup better than a mug?
It's not. The best reusable is the one you use. The important thing is to use a reusable cup. KeepCups have just been purpose built for coffee on the go.
The KeepCup has a lid so it is difficult to spill or splash the contents. Having a lid means the KeepCup meets OH&S safety standards of many organizations.
The KeepCup is light and unbreakable. At the end of its life it can be recycled.
The KeepCup replicates disposable cup sizes so you get correct and consistent portioning of coffee and milk in the size you desire. Small and medium cups fit directly under the coffee machine.
And just between friends if I'm having a cup of tea at home I love my ceramic mug. Out and about there is no better choice than the KeepCup!
Can I put my KeepCup in the microwave?
Yes, on the base of your KeepCup it says it’s microwave safe to 120°C. However, make sure you remove the lid first as the lid WILL MELT if placed in the microwave. Once you’ve reheated the contents of our KeepCup, place the spill proof lid on top to prevent any accidents.
I need more information about the sizes.
Our KeepCup sizes:
- Small – 8oz/227ml cup – the same size as a standard latte glass
- Medium – 12oz/340ml cup
- Large – 16oz/440ml
The unfilled cup heights (to check against the coffee machine) are:
- Small 82mm
- Med 108mm
- Large 134mm
All cup widths (at top) are 85mm to each external edge and 59mm across the bottom.
Where are the KeepCups made?
KeepCup Original Cups, Lids and plugs are currently manufactured in Victoria, Australia.
KeepCup Brew glass cups and our silicone bands are manufactured and printed in China.
Our cork bands originally come from the ancient cork oak forests of Portugal, but are manufactured from the recycled waste material from the wine industry.
The KeepCup was conceived as a sustainable product and this mandate overrides all commercial decisions we make.
Are KeepCups Bisphenol A (BPA) free? What kind of plastic is it?
The KeepCup and all its components are BPA free! The cup itself and the lid are made from polypropylene, the plug is a polyethylene polymer called TPU (we are attempting to source this in biodegradable form), and the thermal band is made from silicone.
We researched our plastics with care. Polypropylene #5 is the safe food grade plastic.
Bisphenol A (BPA) is contained in polycarbonate (plastic #7). The other plastic to avoid as reusable is #2 PET. These numbers relate to the chemical compounds used to manufacture the plastic and must be displayed.
Can I fill my KeepCup with boiling water?
The KeepCup has undergone rigorous testing and has proven sufficient to carry boiling water, providing it is held by the silicone band and the plug remains in the open position to release steam.
However, the KeepCup was designed specifically for espresso coffee, which is served at 65°C and not at boiling point. Moreover, if you heat the milk for a coffee to a point much higher than 65°C, it will burn and your coffee will taste terrible!
Can I recycle my KeepCup?
Recycling was an important consideration in designing the KeepCup. The KeepCup is made from a single injection mold, which means that the components can be separated and easily recycled. This contrasts with other alternatives that are difficult to recycle, because they are made of composite or even completely non-recyclable materials.
Recycling and recycled materials are important, but recycling can be expensive, both in terms of cost and impact on the environment. The real solution to the problem is to design a product that is reusable (and that can then be recycled at the end of its life).
Food grade plastic must currently be virgin plastic but, as technologies evolve, single material products like the KeepCup could conceivably be returned and converted into new KeepCups. Cradle to cradle. In the meantime, at the end of its life, simply place your KeepCup in your domestic recycling bin.
The ability of an organization to make recycling a commercial venture depends on supply. This is why we recommend that you place old KeepCups in parts into the recycling bin.
In truth, there are not many councils who can recycle PP - but it is coming. We are committed to a cradle to grave stewardship of the KeepCup and are watching the options as they evolve.
We will keep you posted!
- - - - -
Did you know that KeepCups can be paired perfectly with Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker to brew the best cup of hand brew / pour over coffee? Click this link to get the Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker.
- - - - -
Don't want the hot coffee in your KeepCup to turn cold? Keep it FOREVER WARM with Nanoheat PAD Coffee Warmer, at the comfort of your desk!
- - - - -