Produce professional-quality colour documents with ease and speed. Seamlessly integrate into your office or wireless home network. Save paper with automatic two-sided printing and print from virtually anywhere with HP ePrint.
Ideal for work teams of up to 8 users, who need the convenience of wireless and professional-quality colour from an easy-to-use, highly affordable, networked HP LaserJet printer.
Enjoy high productivity with great print speeds and professional-quality colour.
- Boost productivity and save time with print speeds of up to 20 ppm A4.
- Produce crisp, detailed text and consistently smooth colour with HP ImageREt 3600 and Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges.
- Design and produce colour marketing materials in-house on a range of media sizes from 8.9 x 12.7 cm (3.5 x 5 inches) to 21.6 x 35.6 cm (8.5 x 14 inches). Go to www.hp.com/create for tips and templates from HP.
- Print documents affordably: get the same black cost per page as a black-and-white HP LaserJet printer.
Manage networked resources using convenient, intuitive setup and easy-to-use management features.
- Install and proactively manage this printer remotely using HP Web Jetadmin.
- Get started right away with HP Smart Install – no CD required.
- Use the printer anywhere in the office, with built-in wireless connectivity. Share printing on a network with built-in 10/100 Ethernet.
- Print from virtually anywhere with HP ePrint. Print from a smartphone directly to your printer using HP wireless direct printing, and print wirelessly from your iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch® with AirPrint™.
Reduce your environmental impact.
- Reduce energy use with HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology, which turns the printer on when you need it and off when you don't. Save even more energy with Instant-on Technology.
- Reduce waste and easily manage paper use with automatic two-sided printing.
- Save money and print for longer with Original HP high capacity black cartridges, and easily reorder with HP SureSupply.
- Take advantage of free, easy recycling – cartridges returned through HP Planet Partners are recycled responsibly.
Print speed black:
Normal:Up to 20 ppm
Print speed color:
Normal:Up to 20 ppm
First page out (ready)
Black:As fast as 17 sec
Color:As fast as 17 sec
Print quality black (best)
Up to 600 x 600 dpi
Print quality color (best)
Up to 600 x 600 dpi
Duty cycle (monthly, A4)
Up to 40,000 pages
Recommended monthly page volume
750 to 2000
HP PCL 5c, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation
2-line LCD (text)
HP ePrint capability
Mobile printing capability
HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint™, Business Applications
1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
1 Fast Ethernet 10/100Base-TX
Standard (built-in Fast Ethernet)
Minimum system requirements
Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port; Windows® XP (32-bit) SP2: Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port;
Mac OSX v10.5, v10.6; PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor; 500 MB hard disk; CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet; USB or Network port
Compatible operating systems
Full software installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows® 7 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows Vista® 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® XP 32-bit (SP2 or higher)
Driver only installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows® Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® Server 2003 32-bit (SP3 or higher)
Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6
Linpus Linux (9.4, 9.5), RED HAT Enterprise Linux 5.0 (supported with a pre-built package)
SUSE Linux (10.3, 11.0, 11, 11.1, 11.2), Fedora™ (9, 9.0, 10, 10.0, 11.0, 11, 12, 12.0), Ubuntu® (8.04, 8.04.1, 8.04.2, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, 10.04), Debian (5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.0.3) (supported by the automatic installer)
HPUX 11 and Solaris® 8/9
Paper handling input, standard
50-sheet multipurpose tray
250-sheet input tray
Paper handling output, standard
150-sheet output bin
Media sizes supported
Tray 1, Tray 2, optional Tray 3: A4, A5, A6, B5 (JIS), 10 x 15 cm, postcards (JIS single, JIS double), envelopes (ISO DL, ISO C5, ISO B5)
Media sizes, custom
Tray 1: 76 x 127 to 216 x 356 mm; Tray 2, optional Tray 3: 100 x 148 to 216 x 356 mm
Paper (bond, brochure, coloured, glossy, letterhead, photo, plain, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough), postcards, transparencies, labels, envelopes
Supported media weight
Tray 1: 60 to 176 g/m² (up to 220 g/m² with postcards and HP Color Laser glossy photo papers); Tray 2, optional Tray 3: 60 to 163 g/m² (up to 176 g/m² with postcards); Automatic duplexer: 60 to 163 g/m²
Finished output handling
Power and operating requirements
Input voltage: 110 to 127 VAC (+/- 10%), 60 Hz (+/- 3 Hz); 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 10%), 50 Hz (+/- 3 Hz)
425 watts (active), 15.2 watts (ready), 4.0 watts (sleep), 0.5 watts (manual-off). Typical Electricity Consumption (TEC): 1.509 kWh/Week
ENERGY STAR® qualified
Operating temperature range
15 to 30ºC
Operating humidity range
20 to 70% RH (non-condensing)
Dimensions and weight
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
405 x 484 x 322 mm
Maximum dimensions (W x D x H)
405 x 689 x 322 mm
What's in the box
HP LaserJet Pro 400 color M451dn printer
Four preinstalled introductory HP LaserJet toner cartridges (yield ~1400 pages)
In-box documentation (Hardware installation guide)
Software drivers and documentation on CD-ROMs
Built-in Automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
No, please purchase USB cable separately
One-year warranty. Warranty and support options vary by product, country and local legal requirements.